Keukenhof, also known as the Garden of Europe, is one of the world's largest flower gardens, situated in Lisse, South Holland, Netherlands. According to the official website for the Keukenhof Park, approximately 7 million flower bulbs are planted annually in the park, which covers an area of 32 hectares (79 acres).
Keukenhof is situated on 15th-century hunting grounds. It was also a source of herbs for Jacqueline, Countess of Hainaut's castle, which is the source of the name Keukenhof (it served to provide herbs for the castle's kitchen). Rich merchants took over the grounds after the Countess's death. VOC captain and governor Adriaen Maertensz Block lived there in his retirement years in the 17th century in the country house (now known as Castle Keukenhof) which he had let built in 1641.
In the 19th century, the Baron and Baroness Van Pallandt assigned the landscape architect Jan David Zocher and his son Louis Paul Zocher, who had also worked on the Vondelpark, to design the grounds around the castle.
The garden was established in 1949 by the then-mayor of Lisse. The idea was to present a flower exhibit where growers from all over the Netherlands and Europe could show off their hybrids – and help the Dutch export industry (the Netherlands is the world's largest exporter of flowers).
Keukenhof is open annually from mid-March to mid-May. The best time to view the tulips is around mid-April, depending on the weather.
- This is a seasonal tour bookable from the 21st of March until the 10th of may 2020;
- You can book up to 15 hours before the departure time of the tour;
- Fast-track entrance ticket to the Keukenhof included in the price;
- All prices on our website are per person, unless stated otherwise.
- Free pick-up from your accomodation before departure and free drop-off after the tour;
- Important: on 27 april 2020 and 4/5 May 2020 there is no free pick-up or drop-off possible in Amsterdam due to National Holidays and festivities.
Departure & pick-up information
- You must be present at least 15 minutes before departure;
- There are 3 pick-up locations you can choose from:
- Johan Cruijff ArenA (Station Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA) in front of the Burger King, Hoogoordplein 604, 1102 DS Amsterdam. Check the location in Google Maps here;
- Schiphol Airport Departure Hall 3. The shuttle bus that goes from your hotel to schiphol airport will drop you off between arrival hall 3 and 4. If you go inside and go to the first floor with the elevator or stairs, you will arrive at departure hall 3. You will be picked up at door A for your tour. We can be recognized by a sign with our logo.
- If you want to be picked up from your accommodation or location, enter the pick-up address on the booking form. Your pick-up time will be communicated by email 12-14 hours before the departure time. If you did not get this confirmation email, please contact us 12 hours before departure of your tour +31 202200155. Please check your SPAM box before contacting us and make sure your telephone number is correct.
- Duration of the tour: aprox. 6 hours
- These are small-group tours that have a longer duration than other tour operators. We also offer a free bottle of water and a traditional Dutch snack per person during all tours and for the children there is an extra free traditional snack.
- Weather or no weather, we are always prepared for you to enjoy your tour. That is why we always have umbrellas and rain ponchos with us;
- Meals are not included in the tour.