Keukenhof, also known as the Garden of Europe, is one of the world's largest flower gardens, situated in Lisse, South Holland, Netherlands. According to the official website for the Keukenhof Park, approximately 7 million flower bulbs are planted annually in the park, which covers an area of 32 hectares (79 acres).
Keukenhof is situated on 15th-century hunting grounds. It was also a source of herbs for Jacqueline, Countess of Hainaut's castle, which is the source of the name Keukenhof (it served to provide herbs for the castle's kitchen). Rich merchants took over the grounds after the Countess's death. VOC captain and governor Adriaen Maertensz Block lived there in his retirement years in the 17th century in the country house (now known as Castle Keukenhof) which he had let built in 1641.
In the 19th century, the Baron and Baroness Van Pallandt assigned the landscape architect Jan David Zocher and his son Louis Paul Zocher, who had also worked on the Vondelpark, to design the grounds around the castle.
The garden was established in 1949 by the then-mayor of Lisse. The idea was to present a flower exhibit where growers from all over the Netherlands and Europe could show off their hybrids – and help the Dutch export industry (the Netherlands is the world's largest exporter of flowers).
Keukenhof is open annually from mid-March to mid-May. The best time to view the tulips is around mid-April, depending on the weather.
- Each tour must be booked up to 15 hours before departure of the tour;
- This is a seasonal tour, bookable from 21 March until 10 may 2020.
- Departure time of your choice. We advise you to depart as early as possible so that you can fully enjoy your tour.
- Entrance ticket is not included in the price.
- Comfort van (5-8 persons): € 280,00
- Please make sure that you are ready on time when the driver picks you up. Your tour starts when the driver is in front of your accommodation at the reserved time.
- Duration of the tour: aprox. 4 hours.
- We offer a free bottle of water per person;
- Weather or no weather, we are always prepared for you to enjoy your tour. That is why we always have umbrellas and rain ponchos with us;
- Meals are not included in the tour.